The Crockett-Valona Sanitary District (CVSD) was formed in 1953 pursuant to
a petition from property owners of the towns of Crockett and Valona. District
boundaries were fixed by resolution of the Contra Costa County Board of
Supervisors on June 23, 1953. CVSD was officially formed by resolution of the
Board of Supervisors on August 25, 1953, following a public election held on
August 18, 1953. The initial Board of Directors was elected to office at the
same time and held its first meeting on September 11, 1953.
CVSD was formed pursuant to
Sections 6400 to 6915 of the
State Health & Safety Code
as an independent special
Its primary functions at that time were (1) to maintain and repair the existing
sewer system, and (2) to plan construction of the towns' first primary sewage
treatment plant. Up to that time, Contra Costa County had held responsibility
for the sewer system.
The primary treatment plant was built by CVSD on shoreline property west of
Valona and was placed in operation in 1960. Funding for the project was
provided through a general obligation bond election, a federal grant and a
contribution paid by C&H Sugar Co.
In 1972, the Federal Environmental Protection
Agency required that sewage be treated to a higher level before disposal to
the Carquinez Strait. Feasibility studies resulted in construction of a
secondary wastewater treatment plant by C&H Sugar Co., of which CVSD
became co-owner. Funding for CVSD's costs was provided through a general
obligation bond election along with State and Federal Clean Water Act grants.
Also constructed were a new sewage pumping station, a large storage tank for
excess storm water and necessary force mains. Essential rehabilitation
of the existing sewer system was undertaken, as well. CVSD began use of the
Joint Treatment Plant in 1979, under contract with C&H.
The initial boundaries of CVSD were fixed at formation to include the
principle territory of the towns of Crockett and Valona. Four subsequent
annexations to CVSD occurred in the 1900s. When CVSD was dissolved in 2006
and the Crockett Community Services District was formed as the successor
agency, the Crockett Sanitary Commission was created and charged with oversight
of sewer services provided by a new Crockett Sanitary Dept throughout the
town of Crockett. The service area now includes all buildings and properties
in Crockett, with the exception of the Crockett Striped Bass Club.
Development in Crockett is constrained by the Carquinez Strait to the north
and the hilly topography and unstable soils of territory in the other
directions, most of which is now owned by the
East Bay Regional Park District
and thereby removed from consideration for development. The Crockett
Sanitary Dept. foresees only limited infill growth and anticipates no
need for expansion of its facilities.